Polichrono is a village located in the first ”finger or leg” of Halkidiki – in the Kassandra peninsula, between Kryopigi and Hanioti. Is a village suitable for family vacations, friends and couples.
Spending the summer in Polichrono, you should definitely visit the 7km sandy beach awarded with Blue Flag every year. On the beach, you are able to find water sports stations, sea bikes, jet ski rentals as well as many organized beach bars to enjoy cold coffee or refreshing beverages.
During the evenings, a walk along the promenade is a must! There are many bars where you can sit and enjoy refreshing cocktails and beers, or dine in one of the greek traditional tavernas with fresh fish nearby the sea. There are also plenty of souvenirs shops and products made from olive trees, jewellery and leather shops, as well as supermarkets, pharmacies and medical centers.
In the center of the village you can visit the church of Agios Athanasios which was built in 1912 and is the patron of Polichrono. Born of the Christ is a 1863 church which is situated in the homonym square, not so far from Agios Athanasios church.
Things to do
- A visit to Mavrobara lake! Located 3 km from Polichrono, towards the mountain, there is a nature reserve area from 1997 where you can see different species of rare turtles. You are able also to walk or rent mountaint bikes, to enjoy excursions to the mountain.
- Spa overlooking the Aegean Sea! Agia Paraskevi ( approximately 25′ from Polichrono) is a village known for its hot springs ( Springs of Agia Paraskevi). In the area there is a modern spa which features indoor and outdoor pools, saunas, hamam as well as jacuzzi. Time to relax!
- In approximately 20′ away from Polichrono, there is a traditional village on a hill above the coast with amazing views of Toroneos gulf – Afitos or Athitos. Most houses are built of stone and visitors have the opportunity to admire the church of St. Demetrius which was buildt in 1859 and it is locate in the central square. We would highly suggest you an afternoon walk through the cobbled streets.
- Near Afitos/Athitos village, is situated an other small village called Nea Fokaia where at the port of the village, a Byzantine tower dominates (17m height). A special attraction is the St. Paul church – a small church inside of a narrow rock cave where, according to α tradition, Saint Paul baptized Christians when he was in Halkidiki.
- Don’t forget to check the nightlife of Kallithea village.